Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 3 Continued: Happy Birthday, Boys!

I should probably mention that Day 3 was my dad's birthday. Since my brother's birthday was but a few short days after the end of our trip, we planned a joint birthday celebration for Saturday night. No parks, no navigating, just a nice dinner with the family in our beautiful villa.

My mother whipped up some lasagna and a nice salad, and we sat down and toasted the birthday boys. The finale was an amazing "Haunted Manion" themed cake that my mother had special-ordered from one of the Disney bakeries. The cake itself was incredible, with panels that mimicked the wallpaper of the Haunted Mansion, and a delicious edible chocolate coffin on top. If you think I got pictures of the cake...you obviously have not been paying attention. I know my mom got some pictures (and for what she probably paid for the cake, she should get an freaking autographed picture with the baker and Mickey Mouse!), but alas, I have none. So you'll just have to take my word that it was wonderful!

While Ted and I got the kiddos to bed, my mother and brother went to the quaintly named "Community Hall" to see what board games might be available for us to play. In my family, board games can be a blood sport, so I was a little nervous to see what they'd come back with. What I did not expect was the Indiana Jones-themed Game of Life. In my innocence, I had no idea that there was an entire subculture of board games devoted to Indiana Jones.

I have some experience with the Game of Life, which is a pretty straightforward spin the wheel, read the card sort of game. Unless you are playing the Indiana Jones-themed version, who's Byzantine rules were excavated and translated by Indiana Jones himself. Quite seriously, it took the four adults and Matt (heh) 45 minutes to puzzle out the rules of play. We did have a lot of fun playing, even though everyone stole my relics and my money and beat me soundly.

Not that I hold a grudge!

No comments: