Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 6: Now, with PIctures!

After a nice, early night, we were all raring to go nice and early for our Extra Magic Hours at Epcot. As I may (or may not) have mentioned, EMH are a special perk that allows Disney resort guests to enter the parks earlier, or stay later, than garden variety tourists. Poor Uncle Matt! We were out of our room by 7:30 AM, and at the Epcot gates 10 minutes later.

My number one goal was to get Griffin onto Test Track, a super fast, super cool car ride. The last time we ventured down, he was 2, and 6 inches too short. This time, he was 4 years old, and a physician verified 40 inches tall. That would be our first stop.Well...technically, my brother and Ted would run over to Soaring to secure Fast Passes for my parents and brother to ride, and to Mission Space for the two of them to ride.

As Molly would be too little to ride the Test Track, I knew she and I would have some time to kill, so we moseyed over to a coffee cart to get Mommy an iced coffee (and a giant M&M cookie, if we're being totally honest. Vacation!!). While in line, Molly decided to play a quick game of "Shoes and Socks Off" (also known as "Piggies in the Car"). As I fantasized about my imminent caffeine fix, I had no idea that the folks behind me were trying to point out Molly's fallen sock. Apparently, they determined that the reason I wasn't responding was because I didn't speak English, so they tapped me on the shoulder, and did a wonderful pantomime while shouting "SOCK!" Hee.

Once we got that straightened out, it was off to Test Track to wait for the gang to finish. I shared my cookie with Molly (vacation!), and watched her scoot around, looking adorable.


Griffin came off the ride with a huge smile on his face, and I asked if he wanted to go again with me. He agreed to show me how it was done, and I caught this as we started out:


After everyone had their fill of Test Track, we split up into smaller groups, allowing Ted and I to sneak onto Soarin. We met up again outside a place called the Character Connection, which was set to open in 10 minutes. As it sounds, Character Connection is a place where people go to find all kinds of Disney characters. I thought that it would present a great opportunity to catch up on some of my missed photo ops from earlier in the trip.

Grammy, Poppy, Molly and I all settled down to wait, while mean Ted and mean Uncle Matt took Griffin for a Disney Rite of Passage: Beverly. There is a small shop in Epcot that allows you to taste free samples of Coke products from around the world, and the Italian soda, Beverly, is quite famous for it's strong, bitter, liquid aspirin taste. The Rite: Tempt some poor newbie into tasting Beverly, while you film it for posterity. I was happy to skip the ritual this time, especially since both grown men taped it.

They returned just in time to hit Character Connection, where Molly was able to grope everyone's nose, and Griffin was able to give all of his "friends" a big hug:




If my muddled memory serves, Grammy and Molly went shopping while the rest of us went to ride "Maelstrom", a fun, if strange, jaunt through Norwegian history and folklore. While waiting to reunite, Griffin said "Mommy, take pictures of me making funny faces!" Done:








No comments: