Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Moment of Weakness

There are not many things I miss from my retail career. My current job provides me wih plenty of interaction with all sorts of people, new challenges, and of course, plenty to bitch about. What I miss, without question, is the clothes. For more than 7 years, my job required me to try on and buy new clothes regularly. New colors, new cuts, new cute accessories to go with them. Oh, the beautiful clothes (sniff).

I spent most of my first year at my new job pregnant, which meant I was just trying to find a few reasonably cute things that worked with my bump. Then I was on maternity leave, wearing nothing but yoga pants and nursing tanks. This is my first big season change with no new wardrobe, and I'm definitely feeling the loss.

So I guess it's understandable that I found my way to the mall yesterday. I just couldn't help myself. When I saw that cute spring coats and handbags were 50% off I had what I like to call a "moment of weakness".

When I was a retail manager, I talked to many women who hid their new clothes in the trunk of their car (including one who got dressed in the garage) so their husbands wouldn't get angry about their shopping habits. I always swore (rather smugly, actually) that my husband and I would not have that kind of relationship. I was an independent woman, making my own money, and I'd be damned if my husband would tell me what I could and couldn't buy! Well, true to my beliefs, I did not hide my new coat and bag in the trunk.

I hid them in our bedroom.

Forgive me, honey. They were on sale! Deeply discounted! Think of the money I SAVED by being such a thrifty shopper!

Not working? Well, at least I'll look fabulous in the doghouse.

No comments: