Tuesday, February 24, 2009

50 Ways to Leave Your Lover

No, I am not getting divorced!

Paul Simon wrote that song when he was trying to teach his son how to rhyme. You know that song?

Slip out the back, Jack.
Make a new plan, Stan.
No need to be coy, Roy.
Hop on the bus, Gus.

I am not making up random facts, either. I read it in the liner notes of my Paul Simon's Greatest Hits album.

I raise the point, because my son and I were working on rhymes today, which was really fun. Of course, some of the rhymes we came up with were not necessarily words in the sense of, you know, the English language, but that's okay, we both had fun.

Unfortunately, the game made me realize the limitations of my sons name. There are no true rhymes for his name, which I realized after gaily rattling off the many rhymes for my daughter's nickname. Oops. Fortunately, at three he doesn't hold it against me.

We'll see how he feels when he turns six.

No comments: