Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Tree!








Yesterday the four of us went out to search for the ultimate symbol of Christmas, the perfect tree! Yes, I know that if you get an artificial tree you always have a perfect tree, but after helping my parents to assemble their tree over Thanksgiving weekend, I realized it's easier to cut one down.

In our tiny Vermont town, there are 2 farmers that sell U-Cut trees. For the past 2 years, we've gone to the smaller farm. It's $10 cheaper, and the guy is a sweetheart who will chop the tree, drag it up the hill and wrap it for you. The only problem is that his trees are slightly...misshapen, I guess. I am incredibly particular about trees (you only get one shot per year to get it right!), and for the past 2 years we have spent close to two hours tramping around in the freezing cold, trying to find a tree that was full enough to satisfy me, but not so huge it wouldn't fit in the corner designated to hold it. Not an easy task, and both years my eyes were bigger than my square footage, so to speak. One year we had to step over the enormous branches to get to the downstairs bathroom.

This year, we decided to spring for the other U-Cut. We took no chances, having measured out the space and brought along a tape measure to prevent me from getting carried away. We hiked up the hill, my son desperately trying to get his hands on the saw, the baby bundled to the eyeballs, and me screaming "Watch the little ones!" every time my husband came close to one of the flagged saplings. In no time at all, the perfect tree stood before us. Great shape, full branches, a little bit tall, but a quick check with the tape measure showed it could work. In and out in less than a half an hour! Well worth the extra $10, if you ask me!

We set it up in it's designated corner...PERFECT! It may be our best tree ever.

God, I love Christmas!

No comments: