Thursday, July 2, 2009

Gun Control

My husband and I are not, shall we say, gun enthusiasts. Naively, we thought by not buying toy guns for our little guy, we could avoid the idea of weaponry for our kids, at least for a little while.

Yeah, right.

Daycare is beautiful in that your kids are exposed to all kinds of things, including other kids who play "shoot the bad guy" games. It's not uncommon for our little guy to run around with his toy golf clubs, taking aim and making the obligatory "gun noises" that little boys seem to make almost instinctively.

While I am not crazy about this practice in general, I had to laugh this morning when I overheard my husband nicely ask Griffin to call his shooty toy a "power wand" instead of a gun. When I saw the look my son gave him, I had to laugh even harder. It was like seeing a preview of his teenage face, embarrassed both for and by my husband. Add an eyeroll, and he could have been a very short 13 year old.

They grow up so fast.

No comments: